Saturday, December 4, 2010

Around the World: An Amazing World

Around the World: An Amazing World
   written by Heather E. Schwartz and Tammi Salzano

REVIEW.
I love this little interactive, 3-D Travel Book I found on one of the shelves of our fall bookfair at only $4.99! I see so many uses for this book in the classroom and Library Media Center! The photos are simple and iconic.

Put on your 3-D glasses included in this book and take a quick journey around the world learning some trivia about amazing landmarks we all hope to be able to see sometime in our lives face to face!


Teacher Note: The book is written for younger readers but I will use this book K-6 and believe the true power of the book is in the higher grades. There is just enough information and beautiful photographs to peak interest to pursue more information. Each student can pursue content knowledge that appeals to them, while learning access and internet skills I introduce to them... differentiated instructional lessons. Even my most reluctant readers will become involved with partners or small group investigations. I will use this book and several others in this blog as a "text" along with important WebTools that assist learners to locate, organize, and synthesize information using content selected to release motivation.

I plan to use this book as a project launch with my upper grades to learn and utilize Google Earth to develop an online travel map for younger students to experience later on, addressing social studies standards both lower and upper grades, 21st century skills, and Library/Media Center standards, all within one project.
Authentic projects researched, developed, and published by older students as a learning tool for younger students is a favorite learning process I use through my Library/Media Center program to maximize learning experiences.

Watch for the project to appear on our Media Center webpages at some point. It will be an ongoing and constantly evolving project building collective intelligence as it grows.

ISBN: 978-0-545-17229-5

No comments:

Post a Comment